Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cadaver Dissection!


The Academy offered an anatomical elective day-class over the break, a cadaver dissection! Those that know me, know of my morbid fascination, and today it was relieved. We studied 3 different bodies, 2 female, 1 male. All 3 were in an elderly state when they passed a few months ago. They donated their bodies to science and when the Hunter College physical therapy department is through with them, they will be cremated and ashes returned to the families. The class was given by Academy professor David Klass, a sculptor and master anatomist who studied at Pratt and Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. After he dismembered the bodies and identified muscles and bones for us, he allowed us to sit and sketch. I became fond of the arms and hands (quick sketches below). Although I was excited and intrigued, the smell of formaldehyde was stifling. I only lasted 3 of the 6 hours we had scheduled. When I went to Whole Foods for lunch, I couldn't bare to eat the chicken, since that's kind of what we look like inside. 



No comments:

Post a Comment